Transferring transportation from road to rail, UAE
From 2013 to 2022 (from 2018 through DB International Operations), Deutsche Bahn was responsible for the development and operation of a rail freight route centered on Mirfa for transporting granulated sulfur from mines in Shah to the port of Ruwais on the Persian Gulf via Habshan.
- 264 km rail connection
- 1,700 m freight trains with 11,000 metric ton of granulated sulfur per train
- Elimination of 66,000 truck journeys during 12-month testing in 2014-2015
- Establishing organizational and HR-related sides of infrastructure unit as part of a joint venture, Etihad Rail DB Operations LLC, between Etihad Rail and Deutsche Bahn
- Supporting functional testing and management during testing stage
- Infrastructure management and training for technical staff in scheduled operations
- Etihad Rail DB operates and maintains rolling stock (locomotives and freight wagons) and infrastructure (tracks, signal boxes, maintenance facilities, and buildings) for stage one of the UAE’s national railway network.